[Blindtlk] Perhaps an off the wall question about Samnet and Blind Mice Movie Valt

Christopher-Mark Gilland clgilland07 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 20:40:41 UTC 2015

OK guys, as a lot of you probably know, you can sign up for a free account
through Blind Mice Mega Mall, and get access to the movie valt with tons
upon tons of DVS audio only movies.  If you are a member of the System
Access Network, a lot of these movies are also available there.

So, here is my question.  I currently own a dolby digital 5.1 surround sound
receiver.  More specifically, it's the Yamaha RXV477.  I'm just curious.  I
know that when looking on IMDB, a lot, and I do mean, a lot! of these movies
are encoded in Dolby Digital surround sound.  Usually even in 5.1 channel.
So, my question is, when downloading the mp3 files from the Blind Mice Movie
Valt, or when streaming them with S A Mobile Network, are those audio files
downmixed back to just a 2CH stereo recording, or could I still enjoy them
with the full  surround sound effect?

What I normally do is to run a flash drive via USB directly into the
receiver which according to my receiver's manual, is totally digital.  It
does not hit the annalog converter.  It bypasses that, leaving the signal be
completely digitally processed.  If streaming, I usually will do that from
either my IPhone or my IPad.  Those, too, connect via USB to my receiver,
and again, it is a total digital signal out.  There is no analog processing
involved.  So, all the way out the amplafire all the way to my speakers,
it's totally digital.

Hopefully that is enough info for you all to determine how this is gonna
work.  Yes, I'm aware I'd have to use the Surround decoder preset on the
receiver to make it work.  That's easily enough done.  I know exactly how to
do that, don't worry.  My biggest thing is just, are they encoded in the
first place with the surround specification still there for those who want
to take advantage of it.

Chris.