[Blindtlk] A Horrible Experience at Kmart

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 17:02:51 UTC 2015

Hello Gary,

I think that you brought up an excellent suggestion for a Braille Monitor
article.
I don't know what the ADA says regarding stores providing assistance to
blind people. I do know that many retailers such as Wal-mart have electric
carts or scooters to help shoppers with mobility issues.I'm not  sure
whether this equipment is provided as a courtesy or if such an accommodation
is mandated under the ADA.
The Federation is suing Petsmart over the lack of access to point of sale
terminals,and when folks contacted the retailer to ask about installing
accessible terminals, apparently the company showed no interest in
complying.

As for my shopping preferences, I like having the freedom of either going
with a friend or family member if they are available, but I also like going
by myself as I often decide on the spur of the moment to check out a sale at
places like Best Buy or Macy's. My home is not far from shopping, so I don't
have to rely on paratransit and the limitations of using such a service.
I usually take the bus to the store or mall and then arrange for a ride home
on either Uber or Lyft as I usually end up buying more than I can easily
carry on the bus.
When I'm shopping by myself, I don't call ahead to ask for assistance. I am
not far from a shopping center where there is a SuperTarget.
There is a Starbucks inside the Target store, so when I arrive I order
something to drink and ask the barista to please contact guest services.
Sometimes, there is a 10 to 15 minute wait until someone is available, and
during that time, I can enjoy my coffee or tea while reading email or
checking in on Facebook.
I've shopped at Target many times and have a pretty good idea of where
things are.
Sometimes, I work with an employee who isn't too familiar with the
particular department in the store, and I can often give the person a pretty
good idea of where he can find a product. I do need someone's help when it
comes to finding the correct brand, and reading sell by dates if I am
shopping for groceries.I usually have a Brailled shopping list,and I try to
remember to print a copy.
If I need to shop for clothing or beauty products, I ask if a female clerk
is available.
When shopping for groceries, I like buying fresh fruits and vegetables, and
I tell the person helping me that I can select what I need once I am in the
right area.
I am not condoning what happened to Charlote and her friend at K-Mart, as
the manager's behavior was inexcusable. Yet, I think that it's important to
do what we can to shop independently even when we get assistance from a
store employee.

I hope this helps.