[Blindtlk] Administering subcutaneous injections

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jul 27 19:44:34 UTC 2015

It might have been me.  I learned to give injections way back in vet tech
school.  How I learned was to pinch the skin, gently, and pull it away from
the animal's body.  This is easiest over the rib cage or in the neck area,
where there is generally looser skin.   With the syringe in the other hand,
you press the needle in parallel to the animal's body, near the base of the
skin flap you have just pulled up. .  Be sure not to press the needle in too
far and out the other side of the skin flap you have pulled up.  That's it.
It's probably the easiest injection because there is nothing to accidentally
jab.  I'm guessing that with a cat, you are going to need a second person to
hold the cat or some sort of way to restrain him while you do this.    To
measure out the right amount of medication in the syringe, there is a nifty
gadget called a count-a-dose.  I assume they still make them.  It's been a
long while since I've seen one though.  I'd bet the diabetic folks will have
good ideas about that aspect.

Hope your cat gets to feeling better soon,
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC