[Blindtlk] Update to Cane Use and Trekker

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Jun 8 14:38:33 UTC 2015

Hi All,
  Since I had recently asked about the Trekker and  had also not too long ago mentioned that I was switching from a guide dog to the cane for the first time, I just thought I would give a quick update.

  I retired my dog about a month ago and today had my first official O&M session. It went really well. I had ordered a 52 inch cane from Ambutech and when the O&M instructor saw my speed today, she told me to get one that is 4 inches longer. I am only  5 ft but I am a rather fast walker. I am actually kind of glad I will be upping the length a bit because I was always feeling a little apprehensive since sometimes I did not feel like I had quite as much warning time as I would like.

  I have to say that I am really amazed at how much my echolocation sense is kicking in. With a dog, I rarely used  it but as soon as I switched to a cane, I noticed an extreme increase in my use of it. The instructor actually told me I am really good at using it so that is really encouraging:).

 My VR councilor approved the new Trekker for me so hopefully I will get   it sometime in the near future.

  Thanks again to everyone for the really helpful suggestions and info on both the cane transition and Trekker.

  I am really feeling right now like this was a great choice for me. I love dogs, but am just at a point in my life where I do not want all of the responsibility that comes with them (and all of the fir:)).
Happy Monday!
Chris

Dr. Christine M. Szostak
Assistant Professor of Psychology