[Blindtlk] different experiences

Sheila Leigland sheila.leigland at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:59:14 UTC 2015

Hi I can tell you that we come from all types of environments. I'm
totally blind and I grew up primarily in California doring the sixties
and early seventies. I used braille exclusively until I learned to type
but on the other hand I didn't have a cane until I was eighteen years
old. I went to public school and in my district we couldn't use them in
school but I have a friend that grew up in another part of the state
that used a cane much lerlier.I got around independently around my
schools but not really outside of them so when I got my first cane I had
to build up my confidence and it freaked my mom out to even watch me
cross a street so we need to go easy with each other.