[Blindtlk] Moon and 'sticky' Braille (was RE: Grade 3 Braille)

Edward Green ergreen1981 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:40:26 UTC 2015

Hi Judy,

Yes, Moon came from the UK.  It was one of a number of similar tactile
representations around in the 19th century, until Braille ended up
predominating.  I'm from the UK, and there was an interesting exhibition in
London a year or so ago where many of these different systems were on
display.

Happily material isn't produced using the sticky dots any more.  I think the
material tended to spoil/fade more than material produced using more
conventional methods.

I also lived in Germany for a while.  I never mastered fully contracted
German Braille, though am familiar with some of the contractions for
frequently used letter combinations such as the ones you mention.

Cheers,

Ed