[Blindtlk] An Update on my Independence

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 12 15:47:04 UTC 2015

Roanna:

I've seen your posts before.  I am glad you are striving to gain
independence.  I'll have to admit that I do not understand.  What is so hard
about ordering and paying for your own lunch?  Have you been so
over-protected that you were never given the chance to do these things for
yourself?  I lost my sight at age 17.  I taught myself to read Braille while
recovering from the failed surgery.  After just a few lessons from an O&M
instructor, I immediately began traveling independently with a cane and
finished my junior and senior years of high school then went on to college.
I am not sure why you did not have that same of independence.  I've never
attended any kind of rehab center or training since loosing my sight.  Is it
common for people to struggle so much to become independent?  Is it fear
that prevents someone from learning the skills that are necessary to be a
functional blind person?  If so, what can be done to make sure all blind
people can gain their independence after loosing sight?  My family tried to
stop me but, I stood up to them.  Is it a problem of families being too
over-protective and not letting the blind person do anything by themselves?
If so, then obviously some families need to be given more information about
how blind people can lead productive independent lives.  Is there any kind
of mentoring programs where those of us who have gone through loosing sight
and become independent can help others adjust to their vision loss?  This
topic has always bothered me because being independent was never a problem
for me and I truly don't understand why it is a problem for other people.

Sandra