[Blindtlk] An Update on my Independence

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Tue Oct 13 13:04:32 UTC 2015

Roanna, Arielle makes some good points. Independence is when and where you find it. Mine is different from yours, and hers. I grew up expecting to do things, and didn't take no for an answer. I found most of my own solutions to problems, and had enough success with them to keep going. I used vending machines at a young age, and just accepted the fact that one plaid Russian Roulette I  making your choice of handles (yes, I'm that old) to pull. Soft drinks didn't become a problem until they came out with enclosed machines, and I could no longer open the little door and feel the tops  of bottles.
Please don't worry about those who seem to ask "What's the big deal?" When you're teaching yourself, every step is important. For example, I can and do order lunch in a cafeteria, when I can't avoid it. I hate them! I think it is a holdover from college when I had to get my tray, fill it, find a table, and then go back for liquid, and hope someone helped me find the same table again. I didn't learn to carry a tray until I was in my forties. Someone showed me and then it was "why didn't I think of that?"
Hang in there. I am enjoying your journey.