[Blindtlk] The Buzz Clip: Wearable Technology for the Blind

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Oct 23 22:39:20 UTC 2015

Hi,
  First, please feel free to call me Chris!

  Just curious about something. You mentioned that it will go to sleep after a few seconds but that people use it to know when someone has moved forward in a line. How do  you detect the difference with it between its going to sleep and the person in front of you moving forward. For example, say you are in a line waiting  for the next teller at a bank. You have the sensor on so that it  indicates that there is someone in front of you. If the line is moving really slowly, and the sensor goes to sleep, how do you know that the line has not moved but rather the device has just gone to sleep? In other  words, you would seem to get the same result in both cases unless you were  paying really close attention to the device so as to determine how quickly the signal disappeared (e.g., did it decrease instantly or a little more slowly as though a person is walking away. This would seem to give you a fair amount of false positives unless I am just missing something. If you  have to pay that close of attention, it would seem like that could make it really hard to concentrate on other important surrounding information in the environment. Although I understand the point of the going to sleep, I think there would be situations where that could be a hindrance rather than a help. One advantage of the non-clip on sensors is that you can really easily move  them out of range when stopping (e.g., when stopping to talk with someone) rather than the sensor deciding when it will stop giving you feedback, especially if they are just sitting on your wrist or in the palm of your hand (e.g., you do not need to reach up and do something like fiddling with something on your shirt to get it out of range or to wake it up... if you want it to wake before something changes in the environment).
Have a great weekend all!
Chris
Dr. Christine M. Szostak
Assistant Professor of Psychology