[Blindtlk] Tips for clicker-training a cat?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Aug 29 16:16:19 UTC 2016

The same principles apply, no matter the animal. Clicker training was
originally used with dolphins.

I don't have cats, don't really like them. *smile*  But I have clicker
trained dogs.  I think you are going to have to find a very high value
reward for the cat.  The reward has to out compete anything else the cat
might find entertaining or enlightening or otherwise preferable.  Then I'd
train in super small bits of time, like 2 to 5 minutes.

As far as the blindness part goes, pick something that is auditory or
tactile to begin with, so you can get the hang of the training method.  With
dogs I teach a hand target, meaning the dog touches his nose to my hand.
You could just as easily teach the cat to tap a bell or something similar.

HTH and let us know how it goes.
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC