[Blindtlk] Uncollated and Unbound Braille Material

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 19:23:41 UTC 2016

Hello:

I can speak to this a bit because my local pharmacist and I have been
discussing how to get the Braille prescription labels for me.  As I
understand it, the pharmacies who use the system to provide Braille labels
get a printer to hook up to their computer system.  That prints out the
labels and any accompanying information just like the print papers given to
the sighted public.  Those pharmacists do not know Braille nor do they have
proof readers on staff every time a blind person orders their meds.  Their
job is to get the medications out to you as soon as possible.  They do not
have the time to send the document out to be proof read and bound.  Also,
that would cost way to much money just to fill a prescription.  As for the
sighted, all they get is a bunch of papers thrown into their bag along with
their meds.  They are not collated or stapled in any particular order.  I
think you are asking too much for prescription information.  If it were an
important  lengthy document, then I can see making a fuss but for the stuff
that comes with your prescriptions, you are making too much out of it.  Be
glad that we now have this information available to us.  Things might not be
perfect but it is a lot better than it used to be.