[Blindtlk] Having a Problem...

Ray Foret Jr rforet7706 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 28 04:27:24 UTC 2016

First of all Carri,

	You are beating yourself up way to much over this.  The others are right.  First, let me say what I think is really going on.

1.  You have a sleep disorder, and, you stress out over that.

2.  Worse yet, you feel like you are not the sso-called "ideal blind person" because you have these problems and you don't fit what you feel is the perfect image in your understanding of what a blind person should be.  This image was put in to your mind most likely by speeches you heard made by blind people who are successful and therefore, they and perhaps yourself also expects you to be successful:  and, if you are not, you are betraying every blind person you look up to.  This means that, if they ever found out you have these problems going on, they would be ashamed of you and call you a trator to the movement.  Now, let me tell you something.  YOu are no trator to the movement.  This all got in your head because of stress.  It's an image thing.  I know because somewhat the same thing happened to me.  Yes, you have a physical sleep disorder and only a fool would deny that.  Let there be absolutely no doubt about the fact that the advice the others have given you here is good sound strong advice and I'd take it for sure.  I would also wish at this point to congratulate you.  Why?  Simple.  By telling us about this problem, you have taken the very most critical first step in solveing it.  The others are right.  You can't solve a problem by trying to hide it.  Of equal importance Cari, is the fact that you have taken the first most important step of ridding yourself of the false image of the perfect blind person.  Got news for you dear heart.  There IS, NO, SUCH, THING as a "perfect blind person".  Forget that idea and put it straight out of your mind and your heart also.  You are the way God made you:  and if somebody has an issue with that, that's their problem, not yours.  Now, let me tell you how I know that is what you were thinking.  You revealed a lot more in your message than your words would have seemed to indicate.  A lot more believe me.
	3.  Now, my third point.  Non/24 is realy true.  I will admit to you that at first, I did not believe it myself.  But, after this past year, I have no choice, (due to personal experience) that it's real. I can't speak for whether Avanda is something that works or not.  Like you, I dislike those commercials also.  But, let's try to remember that we can't always have the brightest image we would wish for.  Yes, the commercials (both on tV and radio) are truly not the best:  but, they could be a lot worse.  At least  those commercials do actually have one kind of saving grace.  And what, pray tell is that?  That saving grace is the fact that the people are quick to point out that their blindness does not hold them back.  Now, for what it's worth, I'd have spent a lot more time on that aspect of it;  but that's me.

4.  Now, some suggestions.  First, if you are in an area where you can do this, let yourself take a walk barefoot in the grass outside to help you relax.  Believe me, there's no better way to be.  Now, here's something that just about always works for me.  Put on some kind of constant sound just before you go to bed.  Being an audio enthusiast myself, I have a number of recordings of pink noise and test tones I can call on for that purpose.  But, if you don't, there are either devices or apps which can be used to generate a constant noise to help you zone out and go to sleep.  IF you have a small fan, even that might work.

I hope the messages that I and the others here are of some help to you.  The others here have given you much good advice, and I dare speculate that more will be coming.

HTH.

Sent from my Mac, The Only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-in

Sincerely, The Constantly Barefooted Ray,

Still a very happy Comcast XFinity Voice Guidance, Mac, Verizon Wireless iPhone6+ and Apple TV user!