[Blindtlk] non 24

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:39:35 UTC 2016

But most people who are blind are not totals and I don't think there's
any evidence that partially blind people have a higher rate of non-24
than the general public. I have light perception and can see the sun
shining if I am outside, but I can't usually tell from inside my house
if it's dark or light. But I've never had any problems with my
circadian rhythms and I actually have the opposite problem (trouble
staying up much past my bedtime or going to bed/getting up much before
the time I'm accustomed to doing so). I'm not sure if that has
anything to do with my minuscule bit of light perception or if just
based on genetics or environmental cues in my early childhood, my body
figured it out.
I think those totally blind people with genuine non-24 deserve good
treatment. But I also worry that if people overestimate how common
this rare condition is, blind people (especially kids) who have sleep
issues could get erroneously diagnosed with non-24 just because
they're blind, when in fact they have a much more common condition
like sleep apnea that deserves proper diagnosis and treatment.
Arielle