[Blindtlk] how about painting?

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Wed Mar 16 18:53:15 UTC 2016

Wow, I'd like tips on this myself.

Growing up, I would be the one to apply the roller brush with the paint.  My dad didn't tolerate the smell very well, but if I applied the roller brush, I would roll up and down a particular area.  Then I would move over not quite the width of the brush and apply another vertical strip, overlapping strips.  After I was done with the general slopping on, dad would come in with the final finishing.  You can tell when your roller needs more paint, because the paint makes a thicker sound when applying.  If you have enough paint, it isn't quite as noisy.  Hard to describe.

Once I went to Home Depot with this question, because our oldest daughter, Jada, wanted her room painted, and we thought it would be fun.  One of their people told me that we ought to try sponge painting.  Taking a sponge-tipped brush and sponging on the paint in short strokes.  He suggested 2 or 3 blending colors, and to start with 1 layer one color and then the next, then the next, after each layer was dried.  He said with this type of design it wouldn't matter if spots were missed or not, as it would look like part of the color scheme, as long as we made sure to cover the wall with the strokes.  We didn't have to worry about streaking paint that way either.  We did it, and was lots of fun and quick.

From what I hear, her walls looked like they had been painted in flower petals, and she got more compliments from it.  We used a couple shades pink, I remember, do not remember the other.  I'm sure there must have been some of the white showing through in places, but was part of the design.

I would love to gather tips from everyone else as to how to get solid colors on smoothly with out streaking or missing.  Don't forget to wear old clothes that you don't mind having spotted.  Some paints may come out, some may not.  Time to Google how to remove paint stains from clothing, right?