[Blindtlk] Going forward

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Aug 11 12:56:35 UTC 2017

What do you mean?  I'm a bit uncertain of what you are getting at here.

If you are asking about blindness skills...I had the opportunity to attend a
training center for 3 months, where I learned all sorts of things.  Probably
most important among them was to face the fear and do the thing anyway. You
can't possibly learn everything you'll ever need to know at a training
center, but if you learn how to figure things out for yourself, you're
pretty much set.

If you mean in employment...I'm highly motivated by learning new things.  So
every few years I change jobs/careers.  Right now I run my own business.  I
like it a lot because if some interesting opportunity comes up I am free to
explore it without needing anyone's permission.  Also seeing sales numbers
is motivating because it's a very tangible way to know how well I'm doing
and how much I'm improving.  I struggled with this when working for others.
The yearly review was one person's opinion and too infrequent to be of real
use to me.

If you mean the day to day mundane things, cleaning, paying bills, cooking
etc...honestly I'm not good at staying motivated with these.  As much as I
possibly can I try to do minimum effort required.  I have bills set up to be
taken care of automatically.  I put reminders in my phone of when the dogs
will need a bath or whatever.  I tend to do marathon sessions of cleaning
out closets because then I can get it done and over with.

I tend to prefer project based work, where there's a specific goal and a
time frame of a few weeks to a few months.  So I structure my life around
how I know I work best.  This year I started a shop in the blind mice mall
in the beginning of the year, I was a vendor at convention and now the next
goal is to start selling on a new platform like eBay or Etsy.  I'll get that
going by the end of the year.

Perhaps my best advice is to capitalize on strengths and to delegate or
automate the rest as much as possible.   Your question is interesting.  I
hope I guessed at what you meant at least a little.  Looking forward to
understanding your situation a bit better and seeing what others have to
say.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>