[Blindtlk] Gogo Grandparent and Rideshare Service

Mary Donahue braille at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 11 02:52:54 UTC 2017

Good evening Erica and everyone,

	While making our acquaintance with rideshare service we happened
upon a service that bridges the gap for those wanting to use rideshare
services but do not have access to a smartphone. It's called Gogo
Grandparent and is available 24/7/365 to reserve rides on these services.
They work with Lyft and Uber. I'm not sure about other rideshare services.
Their contact information is below:

Gogo Grandparent:
Reservations:
Phone: (855) 464-6872
Website: https://gogograndparent.com/

	Both of us are registered with this service but have not used it
yet. Since they want a piece of the action they'll tack on a nominal fee for
those who use the service but it's very small. Additional information can be
found on their website. We ourselves often use Siri for scheduling trips on
Uber and Lyft.

	Last Thursday I had the same courtesy clerk assist me in our local
HEB Grocery Store where we shop. Since she is a Lyft Driver and it was
getting to the end of her shift I asked her if she could give me a "Lyft"
home with my groceries. I agreed to wait for her and she took me home. She
went further and helped me put our groceries away particularly the cold
stuff. Anyone that does that for us definitely deserves a generous tip and
she got one!

	Every rideshare driver that brought me home from the store was
willing to bring our groceries in for us and set them on the kitchen counter
so we wouldn't trip over them. Like the Lyft Driver mentioned above one Uber
Driver helped me find the cold stuff so I could put it away first as it was
90+ degrees outside. Having had one too many cab driver dump our groceries
outside our front door, having to dig through the mess of groceries to find
the cold stuff such as ice cream and ice that were already melted or turned
into soup when I finally found them  having this kind of service from
rideshare drivers is a much welcomed change. Since they're not required to
provide this assistance we tip generously!

	Since I no longer use a guide dog I cannot report on first-hand
experience with San Antonio's rideshare drivers. Several of them commented
on the information they received from Uber HQ and the information concerning
Uber's policies concerning the carriage of passengers with service animals.
A few drivers assured me that any service animal or even pets are welcome in
their vehicles provided their owners keep them clean and under control.

	In closing let me also mention that I used Uber in Greenville South
Carolina when I attended a business conference held at the Bon Secours
Welness Arena. I used Uber to travel from the Crown Plaza to the arena and
their service was superb to any cab company I may have used. My only
difficulty was a driver who couldn't find my pickup point on Sunday
afternoon when I was ready to return to my hotel to meet the shuttle back to
the airport to fly home. One of Greenville's finest came to my rescue and I
made my flight back to San Antonio that night. All the best.

Peter Donahue