[Blindtlk] Question about an old cane...

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Fri Jun 30 11:59:06 UTC 2017

Good morning, James,

Don't know anything meaningful about your
specific questions, but it sounds like the
1940's-era stick is if nothing else an
incredibly  novel item! Furthermore, without
actually having seen the thing, I wonder why you don't use it?
Car

my wife that the roommate and her husband once
owned and operated an antique shop.  She told my
wife that she had a special gift for me.     The
next day my wife’s roommate’s husband brought
a hard wood white cane, and presented it to my
wife.  The husband told my wife that the cane was
made in the 1940’s.     The cane looks to be in
very nice condition.  It is made of hard wood,
and has a Shepard's hook handle.  The tip is
metal.  My wife tells me that the Shepard's hook
handle is done in a natural wood finish, while
the body of the cane is painted white.  From
about a foot up from the bottom going all the way
down to the bottom, the cane is painted
red.     Does anyone know anything about this
type of cane?  Is it worth anything to
collectors, or is it simply a thoughtful gift
from a sighted couple to a blind guy?  I can’t
really see myself using this cane, but my wife is
rather excited at what she thinks might be an
antique.  What do you guys think? Respectfully,
James Kelm