[Blindtlk] Passport picture rejected for closed eyes?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 17:01:49 UTC 2017

Hi all. I don't have a lot of helpful suggestions, but I think the
rules have gotten stricter just in the last year, because I saw
something about them no longer allowing glasses in the photo. I have
natural eyes, but have severe nystagmus and they tend to blink shut
during camera flashes. I never had problems with passport photos at
all until my renewal earlier this year, when I had mine rejected for
the same reason. I was able to go to a different photo center and
worked with a patient man who kept shooting pictures until he caught
me with my eyes open, and then it was accepted. But for someone who
actually has one eye missing or permanently shut, it seems you should
be able to request an accommodation. I imagine that if these are new
rules, there will be enough backlash that the state department will
need to figure out a better system for allowing accommodations soon.
Best, Arielle