[Blindtlk] Information about dreamers needed

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 01:24:13 UTC 2017

Hi, Marianne and others. Let's try to be clear. Currently these people have
been given a deferment from deportation. The NFB did not make that decision.
The president has said the Congress should decide the issue and has given
them six months to act. We did not decide this for the president, and it is
unclear what the Congress will decide.

What we know is that there are blind people who are here for the moment and
are protected from deportation. Whether you or I favor or are angry about
this isn't as important as our commitment to help blind people. Immigration
is something we are all entitled to have an opinion about, and in my case
the opinion I have is one that I want to supplement a whole lot more before
I proclaim it. Even then, this won't be the place where I express my view. I
will extend a helping hand to blind people whether my belief structure says
they have aligned their lives with my values, ethics, religious beliefs, or
any number of things that might divide.
Our country is very divided on many issues. We should respect the people who
hold different positions, but my view is that we should be an example of
what unified people can do.

Warmly,

Gary