[Blindtlk] The Future Of Braille

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:22:53 UTC 2018

I never had the opportunity to learn braille until now at the age of 46. When I was in grade school they didn’t think people with partial vision needed it. Had I learned braille as a child I would not have struggled through math, struggled in college or finding employment because I would’ve had skills as my vision worsened. I’ve never been able to hold more than a part-time job which we did not require as much reading. I was an activity assistant in a nursing home with my social work degree and education background. Can’t tell you how much easier adult life would have been. Audio is good for many things but we are used to having things written down it’s much more clumsy and awkward. I prefer using a braille display or the real braille printed word now. I feel much more in control then if I were reliant on technology to get things done. Just my two cents worth.

Good luck with your conference!

Ericka Short
 from my iPhone 6+