[Blindtlk] The Future Of Braille

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Mar 26 18:05:52 UTC 2018

No impact on family life, I was the only braille user in the family.  I
started learning braille back in 1959 at age 5.  As a result of having
learned braille, I got employment as a computer programmer and worked
for Department Of Defense for 25 years.  I do reading of magazines and
books with braille and take notes on Linux and other arcane subjects of
interest such as Astrology; Tarot, and Numerology and it helps me with
documenting calculations in these areas of interest.  Charts and tables
are lots easier to analyze with braille than without.  Without more
support for stem-related professions the future of braille is likely to
fall short of potential.  I'm not certain any of the advanced braille
codes are as optimal as they otherwise might be either.  For
optimization to happen time and motion studies as well as cryptographic
studies are going to have to get together.  Time and motion is really
important since it's not even correct to talk about braille without
taking into account both dot consumption and space consumption for any
given word.  The advanced codes need evaluation with regard to both of
these numbers and that's just the time and motion help braille could
obtain.  Next, cryptographic help on most frequently used words using
the most letters down to the fewest letters needs to be figured out.
Professions beyond religious need to be considered for word choices
including stem which was not included in Grade 2 or Grade 3 braille when
those codes were put together.  Doing all of this may provide insight
into how to better allocate contractions and short-form words in any new
braille code with lowest numbers on time and motion side getting longest
words in sample size from cryptographic side.  I hope this helps.