[BlindTlk] Question about societal attitudes toward blindness

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Tue Apr 23 17:13:13 UTC 2019

Good morning, Mike,

Fact is, we, as blind people exist within a place
of deviance that is, (differing from the status
quo) from other human animals in that we do not
take in our worlds  via a 5-layer sensory
experience. Indeed We are without the coveted
ocular input, something that renders us special
because the way we see  requires us to pursue an
up-close and very personal vantage always. Yet,
there are people whom are pretty much reliant
upon ocular information to sort out their
existential experiences, a perceptual experience
which may be seen as a relatively impersonal and
detached way of taking in the same world and I
say, personally, I would not want an ocular input
(like most other human animals), should it
suddenly become available. I like my guaranteed
hands-on vantage! After all, there are 5 avenues
of sensory stimuli by which human animals take in
their worlds. the 5 senses) all of which transmit
to our knowing a layer of the subject in
question. An infinitely amazing design of human
animals takes into account that, for what ever a
cause, certain human animals would find
themselves separate from a particular sense. In
our case, an absent layer of knowing is the
ocular one. but, blind people can always figure
out how to fill in the gaps in their knowing through altered means.
Mike, it's high time you are a little more upbeat
about our specific way of perception. And, some
teachings stress experiencing an absent ocular
input as merely an "inconvenience." I believe it
more than that. Ocular Blindness is more than a
nuisance or inconvenience. It is beautiful. All
of us need to get together and be proud that we
embrace a special, specific way of taking in the same environmental cues.