[BlindTlk] The Unemployment Rate of the Blind

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Tue Jan 15 19:11:30 UTC 2019

This is an interesting discussion. First, I too never put the fact that I was blind on a resume. My thinking was the reason an employer sorts through resumes, either in person or electronically, is to exclude candidates they don't want to interview. I tried to give as much information as I could, but never came out and said that I was blind. I used a guide dog during and after college, and didn't alert the employer that I was going to bring her to an interview. I also never said I was going to bring a cane.
The point about bringing technology to the interview is a good one. If I was not using electronics, I took a slate and stylus. If I had electronics (generally a braille notetaker) I brought it. It served a couple of purposes. It let me take notes, but it also focused the interviewer's attention.
For those who are looking for employment, don't give up. There are a lot of us old guys who will be retiring, and the jobs still need to be done.