[BlindTlk] The Unemployment Rate of the Blind

Walker (US), Michael E michael.e.walker3 at boeing.com
Tue Jan 15 21:07:37 UTC 2019

This is a good point about my strategy working up until testing where you cannot use your own technology. I have not had to face that, but I would still never mention anything about blindness before the first interview. I would just go to the interview and see if either the employer or my state could provide the accommodation on testing when and if it came to that. If I could not use my own technology on the test, I would mention NVDA as an option to the employer, since it is free and open source. The whole way through, I would be in contact with my state rehabilitation counselor.

It is interesting to hear the case about not alerting the employer that a guide dog was being brought to the interview. Not telling them about a cane is common sense to me, but I thought that since a guide dog is an animal, you would be required to mention that you were bringing him or her on premises. I did not think you could just show up anywhere with a dog.