[BlindTlk] Something is bugging me!

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon May 6 19:41:10 UTC 2019

Jim,

A local hardware store or even a department store should have something called ant traps.  They come in different forms, but they have ant poison that ants will carry back to their nests and then they all share the joy.  Generally, these traps are designed so pets can't get at the poison.  You can just leave the traps sitting for several months so they are available for a while, and this has usually worked for me.

Also, to play it safe, it wouldn't hurt to pull out your stove and clean behind it.  Doing the same thing for the refrigerator is also a good idea.  I hate that job, but doing that might help reduce the attraction.  Some refrigerators have trays underneath that catches water when the defrost cycle is engaged.  Sometimes, when something leaks in the refrigerator, it can find its way down to that tray.  You can think you have cleaned up a mess in the refrigerator without realizing that there might be something ants like in the tray underneath.

If your counter is near an outside wall, even a window, have somebody check to see if there might be a colony of ants living just outside of the wall.  Certain flowers attract ants, and if there are quite a few living just outside, getting rid of that colony will also reduce the chance of them coming in.  If you have eaten outside and spilled a Coke, that will draw them in from seemingly miles around.  Using some sort of ant spray for outdoor use might be in order.

If this is a new problem for you, indicating that it isn't a chronic challenge, then I would think spraying or the use of traps would solve the problem, together with looking for a possible unknown source.  Depending upon the types of ants involved, remember that some ants are attracted to grease while others like sweet stuff, so looking for oily as well as sticky stuff is a good idea.  Also, make sure you don't have a bag of sugar with any sort of leak.

If you use the ant traps, it make take some time before there are absolutely no ants, but they should disappear soon.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson