[BlindTlk] Student job

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 16:56:11 UTC 2019

Pam thankfully things have come along way from your experience. I to did a work study when I was in college in the 90s. I also babysat for my work-study boss sometimes. Summers I went home, I was a teachers assistant in a daycare. Other times I did unpaid things like candy striper at a hospital/clinic in my local community or worked with the local adult day program for seniors. I helped with meals, talked with them and lead activities or assisted with activities depending on what it was. I had a blast! It led to me getting to be an activity assistant after college in a bigger nursing home which I did part time for six years.

While I have some usable vision, I don’t think it was why I worked. Times have changed and are always changing. Back when I was going to college in the 90s I never would’ve thought even someone with limited vision could go into STEM careers. As much as I wanted to learn braille, nobody was going to teach me because I had some usable vision. I had never heard of Hadley. Kids today are very blessed because now they learn braille and if they have a good teacher they teach them number so they can do their math. I saw struggled with math not just the more visual concepts because they didn’t teach things hands-on in the 70s and 80s, but because I couldn’t line up my work. We’re talking like and then beyond simple addition subtraction multiplication of fractions. I only had one eye and it can only pay attention so much. Years later it Dondonde me that maybe I should’ve Hughes graph paper. But nobody suggested it. My parents didn’t think about it. I never had an itinerant teacher. I just went to public school and those awful mimeograph sheets were traced over and black pen by somebody so that I could read it.

I hope this helps people. I did kind a ramble but I thought that the time and add two changes should have been addressed. We always have to remember when we get frustrated that what people had to deal with before us was different and well we’re still frustrated, we have to be grateful for the fight people had before us.

Ericka Nelson