[BlindTlk] FW: SSI change that might be coming

Kendra Schaber redwing731 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 21:13:53 UTC 2019

Hi all!
Ouch!!!! I’ll bet that penelty hurt! My boy friend is sighted and not on SSI or Social Security benefits at all. I’ll bet our penelty if we got married would be even worse than the one you got. My boy friend and I agree that the current system puts us in a pigeon hole. We call it pigeon holing in our house because, if you think about it, technically, it does stick us in a pigeon hole. True, the intention is to help us get independent, which, during college, I’ll agree there. When not in college, it actually doesn’t actually allow for proper independence, not financially speaking anyway. Yes, we can all get substadised houseing, food stamps and SSI all we want as long as we fit into the right pigeon hole and actually stay there. On the other hand, it’s almost impossible to escape from that same pigeon hole once we are inside that same pigeon hole. I decided to go to school in order to gain true financial independence to get out of that pigeon hole that I found myself in, of course, after I got set up with SSI. The worse thing is that when one is about to leave high school, no one properly informs that same individual just how much of a pigeon hole SSI really is in the current system. I sertainly didn’t get properly informed about the pigeon hole effect. Not even the NFB properly talks about the pigeon hole effect, at least, not extensively. The best article I’ve ever found that brings up the pigeon hole effect is that one in Future Reflections that Ariel Silverman wrote about the benefits and disadvantages about the services that are there for the blind and other disabled people. She included every one of the services out there. Mind you, I disagree with the extra time it mentioned for college accomidations. I for one, have greatly benefited from that particular accomidation many times, especially in math class tests. On the other hand, I totally agree with its argument where it warned about the downsides of SSI benefits. The only other article that warned about the marriage penelty is one Fromm the Braille Fourm in 2014. That article informed the readers about the fact that many people who are on SSI can’t get married or are scared to get married, all because they were on SSI and therefore, living under the thumb of the marriage penelty. I’ll add that the same article spoke dirrectly to me because at the time, I was living with my mom and step dad, was with my current boy friend and both of us wanted to live together. Mind you, this was before we managed to get our own place together. However, this article pointed out that it was clear that the gods didn’t want me to get married because of this gods forsaken penelty, particularly because I was the only benefitiary of this couple and the penelty could be worse for me than for those couples where both were beneficiaries of SSI. I was greatly informed but rather disturbed by that article. I wish there was more information out there that warned about the downsides of the current system. The best warning out there is the limit ammounts of how much money a beneficiary can own at one time or the same for couples. I wish there was more information about the rest of the drawbacks to this pigeon hole. I also look forward to seeing the changes that are comming and tho find out if they will actually happen. Mind you, we to this day have not gotten married because of the penalties that are lurking out there hidden in the wood work. We decided to play it safe instead. We are also still together of course. The man I reffered to in 2014 is the same one I’m currently with. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear", Author Unknown.
Thank you for reading this email! Also, please note that I have eighth grade spelling. I'm well known for spelling mistakes. Ironicly, writing is one of my gifts.
Blessed  Be!
Kendra Schaber,
Student of Chemeketa Community College,
member of 350.ORG Salem,
Member of the National Federation of the Blind of Oregon, Capitol Chapter.
Writing on my Polaris Braille Sense.
Using both Gmail and Outlook.
Go Detroit, Red Wings! Go Pittsburgh, Penguins! Go Portland, Winterhawks! Go Baltimore, Oriels!  Go Baltimore, Ravens! Go Oregon State Beavers, baseball and football teams!