[BlindTlk] FW: SSI change that might be coming

Danielle (Shives) Manke shives1 at myactv.net
Fri Oct 4 20:43:04 UTC 2019

I, too, completely support this bill and hope this becomes law. Unfortunately, I didn't do a lot of research before getting married to someone who, like me, receives SSI and was completely caught off guard when, between the two of us, we lost nearly $400. I'm not saying we wouldn't have gotten married had we realized this, but financially, I definitely understand why many don't or can't. There's a reason why everyone refers to this as "the marriage penalty", and such a thing shouldn't exist. You shouldn't be "punished" for getting married and living your life the way anyone else can. I also like the idea of people being able to have more assets without their SSI being effected the way it is. I've long said that the current system makes it very hard for people who rely on it to really get anywhere or have anything, and the changes proposed here would go a long way in making things better.
Danielle