[BlindTlk] A question

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Wed Mar 11 14:21:19 UTC 2020

I'd like to take a different approach to this topic.  First, we need to recognize we're not all at the same place as has been stated.  Second, as hard as we all try, we're not going to all get to the same place for that matter.  However, one big mistake that we can make is to think that where we are now is where we have to stay.  I've been around a long time now, and I still find things that I can learn to do better as a blind person and as a person in general.

While it is a good principle for us to be as independent as we can be, there are often practical reasons for working toward that goal.  For example, if one has a steak cut up in the kitchen of a restaurant, or even if a server does it at the table, it is going to get cool much faster.  For me, it is a waste to pay good money for a steak and then have to eat part of it cold.  Any other task one can learn to do rather than depending upon a server will reduce the number of times you have to get the server involved.  Also, unless I am the only person who feels this way, any time I have to depend on someone to perform a task for me it adds uncertainty to the whole outing.  Will I get the server's attention before my food gets cold?  Will I hold everybody else up while I wait for help?  Will the server know how much of a given topping I want on my sandwich?  You get the idea, it takes away from my ability to enjoy the situation.  Then, there are situations such as college cafeterias where there are no servers as such.  I remember another blind guy who would just shout out for somebody to help him cut his meat after he sat down.  Back in those days, I felt so embarrassed to be sitting near him.  Later, though, it occurred to me how awful that must have been for him to wonder every single time he went to the cafeteria whether he would have to deal with cutting up his meat.

Short of going out to eat more to get practice, what can we do?  One important thing is to practice some at home.  Okay, so one can't always eat steak at home to get the practice.  However, if one always puts a slice of ham or roast beef in a bun so they don't have to cut it, one can occasionally eat that slice with bread on the side and get some practice cutting.  If one tends to guide with one's fingers at home more than they are comfortable doing in a restaurant, one can practice guiding less at home.  Certainly one shouldn't turn every single meal into a lesson, but thinking of how one can feel more comfortable with tasks that are difficult by working on them at home will definitely help.  Exchanging tips can also contribute to success.  It might be surprising how many tasks can be made easier in this way.

A friend of mine once asked me, after he pointed out that I had a stain on my shirt, whether I minded him telling me about the stain.  I thought about it for a minute and then told him that yes, I did mind being told I had a stain, but I would mind it more if I found out he had not told me.  He understood what I meant and we both got a laugh out of it.  Are all of us able to be perfect at this stuff?  Of course not.  We're going to make mistakes and I've made my share.  That doesn't mean, though, that we have to settle for where we are now.  It is worth doing what we can to get more comfortable with dealing with some of this.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson