[BlindTlk] No More Mixed Messages, Was Fwd.: [tech-vi Announce List] Who can be an astronaut? Accessible spaceships may be the future - Inverse

pmdonahue2 at gmail.com pmdonahue2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 01:53:05 UTC 2021

Hello Erica and everyone,

	That's exactly what I meant with this thread. With all of the discussion about diversity and making people feel welcome in the NFB the last thing we want to have happen to those with high expectations and strong desires to go where no blind person has gone before to have these expectations undermined by those who should know better than to put out mixed messages concerning our abilities and capabilities. . Not every blind person wants to own an autonomous vehicle or to sore to the stars, but let's maintain an environment of encouragement and high respect and aspirations for those who do. Comments like calling the NFB car a pipedream or stating that folks like Eric Wheihenmeyer are crazy for taking on Mount Everest. The Olympic Games teach us that everyone needs a hero. So it is for the blind. If a blind person with desires to pursue a dream you may not think is possible the response should be a question not a slamming door! I can live with a statement like "How might the NFB develop their car" instead of stating that the idea is ridiculous and unachievable. Raising such topics as questions allows one to raise a concern without putting out mixed messages concerning our abilities and capabilities. All the best.

Peter Donahue