[BlindTlk] [BlTlk] Fw: The Meaning of Independence?

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 18:43:59 UTC 2021

Hi, Jen,

Well, I agree with most of what you are saying, but I would also submit it is never wrong asking for help. The one thing about our society is that we are not as we were several years ago. We were more of an interdependent culture than we are now. I think interdependence is a good thing.

Independence, similar to what the piece said, is doing what you want to do and going where you want to go, how and when you want to do it, with the least inconvenience to yourself and others.

The whole thing turns sour, though, if interdependence becomes co-dependent.

I think it's all in the balance. Being too independent can mean loneliness and pushing others away because you are too independent.

What I try to do is, if I ask for help with something, look for ways of helping out.

For instance, when my kids were in school, I couldn't drive, but then I might take on a classroom activity, or bake extra cookies, or take a load of kids via paratransit somewhere. We did that many times, and those buses could hold nine kids. The driversl oved it, and we all had fun going to play parks, birthday parties and different places.

sent from the Android BS6