[BlindTlk] Post-Convention Updates from NAGDU

Raul A. Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Sun Jul 11 17:14:10 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

I hope that my message finds you well and that you are recovering nicely
from another wonderful NFB national convention. I can't wait for the
next one for several reasons, mainly because it will be in person and
because it will be in a location that I love so much. Not only is
Louisiana a wonderful state with a lot of wonderful people, but it has a
lot of great places to visit and delicious food to eat.

Just because convention is over it does not mean that NAGDU's work
stops. This email will give a few post-convention updates and give you
information about what our next steps are.

1. NAGDU events. The National Association of Guide Dog Users hosted two
events during convention. The annual seminar on July 6 and the annual
business meeting on July 8. We recorded the seminar, which was dedicated
to puppy raisers everywhere, and plan on making this recording available
next week. Because we are always looking at how to improve future
events, we have created a feedback form. Originally, this form was only
going to be available until today, Sunday, July 11, but after careful
thought, we have decided to extend the feedback period to Friday, July
16, 2021. If you attended one or both NAGDU events, we ask that you
consider leaving us feedback.

NAGDU Convention Page: www.nagdu.org/convention

NAGDU Events Feedback Form: https://forms.gle/VCJ7C9BC7FooH8nK7

2. the NAGDU Board. Elections were held during our annual business
meeting. Following are the names of the board members and their
positions. You can always email the entire board using the address,
board at nagdu.org.

* Raul Gallegos, President

* Paul Sandoval, Vice President

* Scott Wilson, Secretary

* Jessica Snyder, Treasurer

* Cindy Ray, Board Member

* Jodi Witthaus, Board Member

* Al Elia, Board Member

3. Resolutions. There were three resolutions that NAGDU submitted this
year: 06 concerning due process and accessibility of guide dog training
programs, 10 concerning the Department of Transportation and the Air
Carrier Access Act, and 12 concerning the International Guide Dog
Federation. The last one, number 12, was withdrawn during the
resolutions committee meeting on Wednesday. After further deliberation,
I decided that this resolution was not right for the direction that
NAGDU is taking. As for resolution 06, there was some controversy around
this one which have no doubt left some wondering what the NAGDU board
wants to do. Let me say that this resolution passed, and we are going to
move forward with implementing it. I have seen messages on this list and
on social media from people who are very much in favor of it, and I hope
that those individuals will be willing to help NAGDU when and if
requested. We need people like you. Likewise, there are many people whom
I deeply respect that were not in favor of this resolution because of
the way it was worded. I hope that I can count on you as well. I have
made it no secret that I take a diplomatic approach when speaking to
individuals or organizations. If that fails, then we can consider other
options if necessary. Finally, resolution 10. From what I can tell, this
one had the most support and is one of the ones where we will begin
working on immediately. I am appointing NAGDU's newest board member, Al
Elia, as the NAGDU liaison with John Pare and his team. I am sure that
there will be many questions concerning the progress of these two
resolutions going forward. We will be sure to share information with the
membership as we are able to.

4. Upcoming NAGDU and other guide dog user division events. While July
is always a little uncertain because of convention and other summer
plans, NAGDU and the various guide dog user divisions and committees are
moving forward with business in August. For NAGDU's part, Yappy Hour
will resume at its normal time of 3 PM Eastern on Saturday, July 24 and
repeat every other Saturday. Guide Dog Matters will resume on Sunday,
August 15, 2021, at 3 PM Eastern. Please stay tuned for further
announcements about the topics that will be covered. The NAGDU board of
directors will have its next public meeting on Sunday, August 29 at 8 PM
Eastern time. As always, these and other events are published in the
NAGDU public events calendar along with the appropriate Zoom connection
information. Likewise, you will receive updates from NAGDU if you are
subscribed to any of the guide dog user lists on NFBNet.

Thank you, and as always, feel free to reach out to me or to the board
if you have any questions.

--
Respectfully,
*Raul A. Gallegos* / President

"Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap." -- Dr. Kenneth Jernigan