[BlindTlk] What happens to people that are born blind when they become adults? I need to be this specific.

Kerry kerry1211 at cox.net
Mon May 17 01:11:21 UTC 2021

Hi, I need to be specific on this subject because I’m wanting an idea of typical services for blind adults. What happens to people that are born blind when they become adults typically? Are there some that are just blind that are in day programs, or group homes? Even though I know the ideaeven though I know the idea for people that are blind is for employment, or community lives but is this what happens for most, or is this the exception?
Trying to figure out exactly what’s going on i’ve lived in Rhode Island all my life but have very rarely seem blind people around. I am thinking it could be many things such as some blind people from Rhode Island going to Perkins, and then moving to other states once they’ve graduated, some blind people that were born blind having additional disabilities and there was additional disabilitiI am thinking it could be many things such as some blind people from Rhode Island going to Perkins, and then moving to other states once they’ve graduated, some blind people that were born blind having additional disabilities and there was additional disabilities qualifying for segregated services so they live lives in segregation away from the community There are a few blind people that I know that work for services for the blind, or Rhode Island’s only blind rehabilitatithere are a few blind people that I know that work for services for the blind, or Rhode Island’s only blind rehabilitation agency insight and one person that I know has a job with a health insurance company but it’s very rare. And when I have brought up this question to the Rhode Island NFB chapter, or a VR counselor they’ve asked theand when I have brought up this question to the Rhode Island NFB chapter, or a VR counselor they’ve asked the question why does it matter?
Why don’t you want to know other people that were like yourself? Or be able to ask for support, or just know that there are others that are following the same path or a different path?
Also it surprises me that a state being so close to a well renowned state for blind people has no idea how to interact where direct at times somebody that’s blind.   Sent from my iPhone