[BlindTlk] What happens to people that are born blind when they become adults? I need to be this specific.

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 01:31:43 UTC 2021

There are so many factors that I can’t really answer the question though what you’d like. If all they are is blind most of them are educated in the public schools and go on to college or tech and try to find employment. Like most college students today and graduates unfortunately many live with family or in low income housing. Most blind people without any other challenges do not live in group homes and attend adult day programs. More likely we are volunteering in those adult day programs! Transportation is a big factor in whether someone is active in volunteerism or work. Attitudes towards blind people also keep them unemployed or from volunteering. Sometimes they attitude is negative towards blindness in the family, sometimes it’s the person themselves who thinks they cannot do anything, and unfortunately most employers and volunteer recruiters are shortsighted and just see the blindness never thinking there’s another way to do things.

Programs and skills Todd vary from state to state. The service is a blind person gets from birth through old age are very different in Minnesota for example than they are in Wisconsin. In Minnesota use get supported from the beginning throughout their entire life including Minnesota assisting students going to both college and graduate school. In Wisconsin where I  Live there isn’t much support once you’re out of public school. While there is the state school for the blind most kids do not attend unless they have some other cognitive or physical impairment. There is a vocational rehabilitation department but there is nothing specifically to help the blind. The blind services focuses on senior citizens and so do most other services and programs. Basically the fact is if you don’t have assistive technology I can’t afford to get assistive technology no matter how much training you get you won’t be able to learn as effectively. Vocational rehabilitation will not purchase equipment unless it goes specifically for your job. So if you are a factory worker putting widgets on something you won’t get any technology because aside from a cell phone to call your work saying you won’t be in there probably won’t be any other technology needed. Maybe they will help pay for a IRA services for a time until the client has spent enough time to look like they stay employed. Then services disappear. I hope this gives you some indication. Nothing is Cut and dry!

For me, my husband and I are married live independently in our own home and he works. I have worked but I am currently unemployed. We’ve both acquired education past high school. In Wisconsin there is a program called family care which helps people with disabilities and seniors stay in their home. Just blindnes is not some thing that will get you these services. I only receive services because I am blind and epileptic. Well this is probably not what you wanted to hear, I hope it gives you a greater understanding. Any further questions for me personally you can send me off-line.
Ericka Nelson