[BlindTlk] What happens to people that are born blind when they become adults? I need to be this specific.

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Mon May 17 12:52:57 UTC 2021

Good morning Kerry. As you've seen, the answer to your question varies with the individual responding. Every state is different in regard to services. I grew up in Oregon where we had a commission for the blind. We received fairly good services, particularly after consumers took control of the agency in the mid-1970's. I moved to Colorado, where I worked at the CCB. The state had services as a part of a general agency, and ran their own rehab center. I'm not sure how well they did, but I knew a lot of blind people who got jobs. I moved to Wisconsin, where services are not nearly as good. No counselors dedicated to blind clients, no rehab center.
Now as far as jobs, I know blind people doing almost everything. I work with teachers of blind children, and with families. I know blind adults with multiple disabilities who work, and some who don't. Of course, I know sighted people who work, and those who don't.
I think the factors that make the difference are training, support, attitudes to those around the person, and expectations. I had a chance to work with students with additional disabilities, and found that at least in my experience, the support and expectations were the most important factors.
Thank you for your question. It is one of those with which we all struggle.