[BlindTlk] applying toothpaste

Aaron Spears valiant8086 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:45:04 UTC 2022

Someone else already covered this, but my method is also to place my
sonic tooth brush on its back with the head out just past the edge of
the sink so I can avoid worrying about making a mess on the counter.
Since it's an electric tooth brush, it's heavy and it'll stay where I
put it. It wouldn't if it was round though, but luckily mine has a flat
back on it. Just have it with bristles up. Then take the tube, have it
open in one hand, grasp the head of the brush with thumb and forefinger
of the other hand, hold the paste a small distance above the brush and
squeeze tube. You'll need to feel the paste going between your fingers
on the other hand for a basic idea of how much you're getting. The way I
hold the brush automatically makes that happen. Once finished applying,
close the cap on the tube and put it away. Use the same hand you had the
tube in to pick up the tooth brush and go to work. While you're doing
that you can turn on the water and get any paste off the other hand.
Bend over the sink a bit to try and get any droplets to go right into
the sink, although I don't have the extra lady parts in the way so I've
got it a little easier there. I can't do the tilting my head back thing
cause it burns my throat if any gets to the back and sets me coughing.

My other recommendation is to get your hands on a different type of
paste. Where most people use the ones that go flat and you have to roll
up the end to get the last of it out, that's sort of a 3 hand operation
and more complicated when your eyes aren't performing one of those 3
things. They make tubes that look sort of like a deodorant container.
It's kind of oval shaped and has a flip top on it. Just upend it and
squeeze. It sucks air back in when you stop squeezing. You have to keep
it upended in storage or just bump it a few times to get the paste to
settle at the bottom to get the stuff to come out reliably, but it works
nicely. Btw, after you squeeze, move the paste container sideways and
then downward off the end of the brush head just in case the paste is
holding on. That'll break it off so you don't have a big string of the
stuff, though the tubes I'm discussing here don't really do that anyway.

There's another type that has a round bottle with a spout on top with a
trigger beside this spout. You just pull the trigger button while you
have the can upended over the tooth brush head, and it dispenses a
precise amount of paste. It cuts the stream off when you let go of the
button too so helps prevent you pulling the paste off of the brush after
dispensing. This one is better if you're having trouble getting the
right amount. I personally prefer the first type I mentioned but have
used both with no issues.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com