[BlindTlk] Dating as a Blind Person: Revisited

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 23:19:40 UTC 2022

Wow, I did date some in college, and they were people that were in my classes.  So, they already knew I was blind, had no problems getting around the campus, etc., so that was no worry.  Nothing was ever serious anyway.

Then, when I was teaching school, I used to go out with a teacher from a neighboring school, he knew I was blind, of course, and we enjoyed each other's company, used to go for pizza, and he also helped sponsor a school dance, one thing we teachers always did anyway.  Our schools were in the same sports league, so played each other at football games.

In today's dating world, I would definitely stay on neutral territory, realizing I am speaking as a woman, and would furnish my own transportation, and I wouldn't feel embarrassed about saying that would be my comfort level.  If the person didn't understand that, then that isn't someone I would want to date.

If you are comfortable in your own skin, blindness isn't going to be the issue, and, if you're comfortable in your own skin, that will go a long way in helping people to feel comfortable around you.  I honestly don't remember being concerned about my blindness itself.  Of course, I wanted to make sure I knew where all my classes were, and where the hangouts were, so I made it my business to get those things figured out.

About the parents thing, The last time I was living at their house was when I was in high school, so back then, they were great about dropping me off places, or picking up me and friends.

What you could do is make transportation arrangements to arrive at a location before your date.  When Chris and I plan to meet with others at a restaurant, for instance, we'll ask the people to check in at the front counter if they get there before we do.  So, if we get there, we ask if such-and-such a party has checked in.  The other thing is to just call their cell if you think you have arrived late, or let your date know when you do arrive at your location. Via cell.  We used to do this with our kids all the time when they were older and we were all off in different directions.