[BlindTlk] question about Using Amazon Lockers Accessibly

Beth Fogle-Hatch beth.chocolategeek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 00:08:07 UTC 2023

Hello Humberto,

We have two sets of Amazon lockers in the lobby of our building. Yes,
there is a touch screen on the machines. However, blind people can
definitely use the Amazon locker system. Your property manager or land
lord will probably send you a web site where you would configure your
set up. For example, my wife and I have our email and text message
information stored in that web site. Whenever a package comes to us, one
of us will get an email message, text message, or both.

You can either retrieve your package by scanning a bar code you receive
from your text message or email address. This does work, but it is not
as easy as the second option, entering a button code into the locker system.

We have two sets of lockers, one of which has a set of buttons where you
can enter your code. It is similar to how an ATM works and feels. There
is Braille and raised print on the machine and buttons. You can put a
headphone into the headphone next to the set of buttons and the machine
will provide instructions and orientation to the locker set up and how
to use it.

I started using the headphones, but after a few times of doing that, I
now just type in the code. There is a bump on the number 5, and a circle
for enter and a star key if you mess up one of the numbers while you are
typing.

When you receive a package, you will get a text message and email
message providing you with the code to enter into the locker or a bar
code you can scan using your phone. If the code you receive in your
email or text message fails, nothing happens. If the code works, you
will hear a beep and a locker will open. You'll need to listen for the
locker. It will stay open and won't close on you, so I usually can reach
around the two sets of lockers or use my cane to locate the open locker.

The lockers on the lower level are bigger and you can use the web site
from your landlord or manager as I noted above  to configure the lockers
to always open for you at the lower level. I have not done this, but it
is available if people have mobility issues and can't reach the higher
lockers.

Please email me privately if I can help further.

Best

Beth