[BlindTlk] Watch "Android: How Google Conquered the Smartphone Industry" on YouTube

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Jan 6 01:40:56 UTC 2023

I had a budget android phone from motorola earlier.  The reason I got an
iphone 12 refurb this time is I'll have software and security support for
that phone until 2027.
Purchase of any android phone really needs to get two dates looked up on
the web.  First is the phone's release date.  Next is the phone's end of
life date.  The day you do the research you want to have it as close to
the release date as possible.  Most of the android phones only have a 2
year spread between release date and end of life date.  If the end of life
date has already passed, you'd have to remove android and put a form of
linux on the phone to get security support into the future.  Google offers
more time between release date and end of life dates on their flagship
models.  Samsung a little less than google, but Apple with its iphones and
ipads beats both google and samsung.
Another couple problems with android are many inaccessible apps and beyond
that apps that speak only in Chinese and are in the United States
playstore for google.
The inaccessibility problem is no less on Apple's end too.  It's a fact
2/3 of the phones on the planet are android many of them budget phones.
Another consideration is the phone stores, not the number of available
apps more like the number of accessible available apps.
That's why I did what I did this time.  Even on this refurb, I still have
support and will probably buy another refurb in 2026 but it won't be most
android phones.  It will take legislation to fix most of the android
industry's life cycle policies and I don't see that happening for at least
the next two years.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.