[Blindvet-talk] Military Order of the Cooties

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 15 01:15:11 UTC 2009

Good evening everyone,

    When I attended summer camp at Harkness Memorial State Park in Waterford
Connecticut we had a number of activities sponsored by outside groups. One
of these was an annual picnic and dance sponsored  by one of the Connecticut
affiliates of the military Order of the Cooties. They prepared lots of good
food, particularly their hamburgers, and corn-on-the-cob, (I once ate six
ears of it at one of the Cootie Picnics), and they played some of the finest
music you  ever heard to permit you to dance the night away.

    They're not a group you hear much about, but I know they're still
around. Do any of you belong to the Cooties, and are you aware of any work
they've done on behalf of the blind? It would be great to learn more about
this veterans organization and of any work they may have done on behalf of
the nation's blind. Perhaps there would be new opportunities and the
potential for joint projects that could be undertaken if we were to acquaint
the Military Order of the Cooties with the NFB and it's message of hope and
it's can-do philosophy. Sempa phi.

Peter Donahue