[Blindvet-talk] Re Blinded Soldiers

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sat May 22 22:28:56 UTC 2010

Congratulations and kudos to those blinded soldiers who have found a place
to continue serving in the Army to live out their calling to serve our
country.

And thank you to them and to all veterans who have served and are recovering
from wounds incurred overseas.

You have all given a great deal, and you have my respect and gratitude for
your sacrifice.

Blind from birth, I have never served in the military, and must say that I
don't support war as a matter of principle.  But no person of feeling and
intelligence can minimize the impact of military service and combat upon
another human being, and no one should fail to honor someone who has risked
and suffered injury to serve his or her country.  Those who carry on in
spite of their wounds and reshape their lives in the face of lost faculties
are an inspiration to me.

I have always liked my life as a blind person, having had the good fortune
to be doing the work I've always wanted to do.  But to lose one's sight
traumatically and then to find ways to live out one's dreams is a true
grace.

It occurs to me, finally, that if the Army is finding success in placing
blinded soldiers in Stateside posts, then why shouldn't blind and low-vision
civilians who want to serve in the Army also join?

The men featured in the article are showing that they can perform
competently in non-combat positions and command respect.  Skilled blind men
and women with a lifetime of experience in living well without sight could
do the same, and prove to the newly-blinded soldier that the future is worth
living for.

Warm regards to all,

Elizabeth