[Blindvet-talk] Blind Vet Solo's the Grand Canyon!

NABlindVets at aol.com NABlindVets at aol.com
Sat Aug 31 01:28:42 UTC 2013

First  Blind Solo Kayaker Goes Down Entire Length of Grand Canyon
Disabled  Navy veteran makes history supported and guided by Team River
Runner

Disabled  Navy veteran Lonnie Bedwell becomes the first completely blind
solo kayaker to  go down the entire length of the Grand Canyon.
"Running  the Grand Canyon was a dream for Joe and me, and now that dream
has become a  reality. I hope that other disabled persons will be able to
share this feeling  with me one day and achieve their dreams as well."- Ronnie
Bedwell
Rockville, MD (PRWEB) August 29, 2013
Disabled  Navy veteran Lonnie Bedwell made history last week, becoming the
first  completely blind solo kayaker to go down the entire length of the
Grand Canyon.  He achieved this feat when he completed his trek down the
Colorado River  supported by _Team River  Runner_
(http://www.teamriverrunner.org/)  on Wednesday, August 21. Bedwell, a Navy Veteran from Dugger,  Indiana,
was guided by three military veterans from Team River Runner who relied  only
on a system of voice commands to navigate him through the entire trip,
including the large, difficult Class V rapids. The 16-day journey was made
possible thanks to the help of numerous volunteers and fellow veterans, as well
 as a generous grant from Check-6 Inc., a service disabled veteran owned
company  that focuses on safety and training in the energy  industry.
By  kayaking the entire 226-mile length of the Grand Canyon in a solo
kayak, Bedwell  not only made history, but he also fulfilled a dream he has long
shared with  Team River Runner Executive Director, Joe Mornini. "Running the
Grand Canyon was  a dream for Joe and me, and now that dream has become a
reality. I hope that  other disabled persons will be able to share this
feeling with me one day and  achieve their dreams as well,” said Bedwell.
Mornini,  who co-founded Team River Runner, a chapter of Disabled Sports
USA, in 2004 and  currently serves as its Executive Director, praised the team
effort that  engendered this historic achievement and which continues to
serve as the ethos  of his organization. "No one goes down the Grand Canyon on
the river and leaves  the same way they entered. Lonnie's three warrior
guides, and the entire group  of veterans and volunteers, formed a bond that
enabled healing and empowerment  for all, and a truly historic achievement as
a team."
“Joe  Mornini has opened the doors for warriors who were wounded to find
life again on  the water. He is a man of singular vision and energy who saw a
need and focused  his sites on helping wounded veterans get back in the game,
” said Brian “Bru”  Brurud, the founder of Check-6, Inc. “Congratulations
to Lonnie and Team River  Runner on a job very well done!”
ABOUT  TEAM RIVER RUNNER
Team River Runner (TRR) was established in August 2004 by  kayakers in the
Washington, DC area. Overseen by a Board of Directors, and with  10
employees, TRR remains primarily a volunteer-based organization, supported by
grants, and corporate and individual donations. Initially established to help
active duty military personnel wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan and recovering
at  Walter Reed Army Medical Center, TRR now serves veterans of all eras at
over 40  chapters throughout the United States. For more information, visit
_http://www.teamriverrunner.org_ (http://www.teamriverrunner.org/) .
ABOUT  CHECK-6, INC.
Founded in 2007, Check-6 (_http://www.checksix.com_
(http://www.checksix.com/) )  is a disabled veteran run organization that brings lessons learned
from aviation  and the military to other high-risk industries, including oil &
gas, mining,  and industrial power generation. Check-6 applies the best
practices of aircraft  carrier operations, commercial aviation, nuclear and
space operations to help  reduce human error, increasing efficiency in the
process. The company has grown  from a handful of dedicated people in 2007 to
more than 300 working around the  world today.