[blparent] Baby's first cold?

Allie alliemartins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:52:05 UTC 2008

Hi Jo Elizabeth,

There's not much you can do for a baby who has a cold.  You don't
really start giving them cold medicine 'til they're older.  I
give my daughter lots to drink (like apple juice and water and
the like), and suction her out every so often.  You can sit with
her in a steamy bathroom to help loosen up all the stuff she's
got in there, and then suction it out.  That helps a little.

If Baby has a fever, you can give her infant Tylenol to try to
keep the temp down, and/or give her a cool bath.  My girl didn't
like that one too much.  LOL.  Poor thing cried the whole time I
bathed her, but it sure helped to keep the temp under control.

These are probably things you've already thought of, though.
Just cuddle and snuggle her as much as possible.  Smiles.  If you
breastfeed, you can try nursing her more than usual.  I found
that this was a great comfort to my daughter when she was sick at
that age.

Take care,
--Allie

dads.  I've come down with a raw throat and a runny nose, the
usual aches and pains of a cold.  I probably picked it up at
church.  So far, I'm not sure if Sarah has caught the bug from
me.  She seems a little more whiny and tired than usual, and last
night Gerald said her cheeks were pink, but she looked fine this
morning.  I know what to do for myself when I have a cold, and
the kind of comfort stuff that makes me feel better.  But if
Sarah does get sick, other than going to the doctor which I'll do
if need be, what will help her?  I mean, the usual home remedies
like chicken soup and such aren't geared toward babies.

>Thanks,
>Jo Elizabeth

>It is easy--terribly easy--to shake a man's faith in himself.  To
take advantage of that to break a man's spirit is devil's work.
Take care of what you are doing.  Take care.--George Bernard Shaw
in "Candide"