[blparent] wow kindergarten has changed!

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Mon Nov 3 01:30:51 UTC 2008

Hi.  There are also some Native American languages that don't have a
specific word for "please" but, like Tammy said, there are ways to convey
politeness and respect.  When I said that I didn't think it was wrong for my
sister to insist on manners in her kindergarten classroom, I wasn't implying
that one culture was better than another.  I believe that respect transcends
all cultures, and also it makes places like schools, businesses, public
transportation, etc, run better.  The world is a more pleasant place when
people are polite to each other, and my opinion on that won't change.  If we
want our children to learn to resolve conflicts with their words instead of
with their fists, or later on with guns and bombs--and I would guess most
people in most cultures would see that as a worthy goal--then they need to
learn from a young age that how they speak to each other and interact with
each other is important and powerful, either in a positive or a negative
way.

Jo Elizabeth

It is easy--terribly easy--to shake a man's faith in himself. To take
advantage of that to break a man's spirit is devil's work. Take care of what
you are doing. Take care.--George Bernard Shaw in "Candide"