[blparent] Teaching Kids Manners

LynnZ lynn at aeonaccess.com
Sun Nov 2 05:02:13 UTC 2008

I don't know if there is a point to saying this here, as it's not a
list for teachers or school administrators, but  I would  suggest
that there is nothing inherently problematic with requiring certain
protocol in a classroom. If a teacher feels more comfortable having
the kids always say please and thank you then that is a fine thing to
ask.  The way to do it, though, is to simply state that these are the
rules for this classroom. Yes, teachers are there to teach math and
geography but to do so, they need to be able to teach. classroom
teaching is a difficult job and does require establishing some kind
of environment that works for the teacher as much as for the kids. As
long as you stay away from protocol that would cause any group to
violate their beliefs or cultural norms. Like, stay away from
protocol that involve requirements to cover or uncover one's head,
make or avoid eye contact, or mention or abstain from mentioning a
deity, etc. I think the problem comes in making statements like"this
is how we act in America" or "in polite society" or other
generalizations. In other words, don't generalize or put value
statements on it.

I also feel ruffled by the implication that one culture is "American"
culture. When people start saying that, they seem to mean "light
skinned Protestant Christian immigrants from Northern Europe and/or
their descendents". That group is not the first, nor is it even the
majority if that matters. If you are part of that group and have been
loudly proclaiming your own cultural norms as :American", you might
want to ask yourself why, exactly, you feel you can claim that
distinction. A note on that example that is floating around - an
Orthodox Jew would never walk up to  anyone and grab the pork chop
out of their hands, especially not if they are not Jewish. That would
be considered stealing under Jewish law and would be prohibited.
Forcing Jewish practices on non-Jews is also prohibited under Jewish
law. Other cultures have similar divisions between rules for insiders
versus outsiders. And there are some religions that do believe they
are required to try to get others to take on their beliefs. notably
some forms of Christianity. But just because you believe God wants
you to do so, doesn't make your way either the  norm nor the American way.

Every society has it's problems and I'm not saying it is the perfect
model, but I had a really interesting visit to Malaysia six or seven
years ago where I saw some very interesting adaptations to living in
a multi-cultural society. Malaysia has three strong cultures - the
Malays who are Moslems, Chinese, and Indians who seem to be primarily
HIndu, as well as the smaller indigenous groups and  some European
Christians. They talk about the cultural contrasts a lot and it is
not unusual to be sitting at a table where Moslems are eating with
forks and spoons - no knives because there is some kind of taboo
against knives on the table, Chinese people are eating with
chopsticks and Indians are eating with their hands.  On religious or
cultural holidays for one group, it has become the practice to hold
open houses for people from the other groups. This is done at every
level of society. For example, I was there for Chinese New
Year.  There was a big celebration open to the public where Chinese
officials hosted everyone to entertainment and a sit-down meal
and  Individual Chinese people also had small open houses for their
non-Chinese friends. I also know there are significant cultural
tensions in Malaysia, but I thought the amount of communication
around these issues that went and even the amount of knowledge each
group showed about the others when talking to me, the  foreigner, was
something we could do well to emulate.

The role all this plays in parenting is probably less relevant on
this list, but many of us do parent via adoption and for many of us
that means parenting kids who come from different cultures than we
do. For some it means parenting children they bring into their homes
from another country. In the US that can often mean bringing the
child into a place where his or her culture doesn't exist or is not
respected.  Everything we do as blind people where there is so much
we don't' have decent access to and so many places and situations
where we are already marginalized, interacts with  the way we parent,
especially in areas where we are dealing with how others relate to
our children, situations where we may need to advocate for them,
situations where they themselves are marginalized, etc. These
subjects aren't coming up on this list which seems to be
predominately made up of biological parents parenting babies and
young children, but the topic definitely has relevance to some forms
of blind parenting.

Lynn