[blparent] Question about adopting

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Fri Nov 7 05:05:26 UTC 2008

Mostly what you have to do is reassure them by explaining various ways
you'll handle situations.  Tell them about how you're capable of getting
yourself around town and can get places like the doctor.  Tell them about
different ways you'll do things like talking thermometers, (also that anyone
can feel if a child is warmer than usual.)  Be real insistent about sight
isn't everything when raising a child.  Tell them how it's quite possible
that a blind parent is more in tune with what a child is doing when you're
not in the room than a sighted person.  We learn the sounds we don't want to
hear.
Barbara