[blparent] Question about adopting

Dena Wainwright autumnrose21 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 06:39:41 UTC 2008

I really think some of this is finding an advocate in whatever adoption
agency you are using. I know adopting is different than giving birth to your
own child, but in the whole process of being pregnant, giving birth, finding
a pediatrician, and dealing with hospital staff after delivery, I really
found that the attitudes and open-mindedness of the professionals I was
working with meant everything.
for instance, the day after I had Elise, my nurse happened to be a lactation
consultant who had actually had experience teaching blind moms how to
breastfeed. so, she just walked into my room, and gave the clear impression
to all of the other staff that I could absolutely breastfeed my baby if I
wanted to, end of discussion.
also, both nights I stayed in the hospital, I sent Jason home to get a good
night's sleep. those cots in the hospital are so uncomfortable, and I knew I
would need him more when I came home than I did with a floor full of nurses
to help me. not one nurse acted nervous about Jason leaving me alone with
the baby (we were rooming in). not one person indicated that they didn't
think I would be able to care for her without him there.
this particular hospital even made sure I always knew who would be working
with me on any given shift, so I would never have concerns that the people
in my room weren't authorized to handle my baby.
all of this is to say that it is essential to surround yourself with people
who think you can do this. even if that means that you need to go through a
few adoption agencies before you find the right fit, it will be worth it in
the long run.
another idea I have is, if you know someone with an infant, perhaps you
could ask those parents if you could "borrow" their baby during your next
home visit. you could then use that baby to show the representative how you
can do things and interact with a baby without vision. e.g., changing
diapers, bottle feeding, taking a temperature, etc.
hope this helps, and I love Deb's idea of finding a network of blind parents
who live near-by.
Dena
 so