[blparent] outlets

trishs slosser at metrocast.net
Fri Oct 24 12:48:43 UTC 2008

Hi, Eva and list.  14-month-olds probably won't understand the
word "no" for a while.  Redirecting can become tedious and
frustrating.  There has to be a consequence for the dangerous
action of touching an outlet.  I might place the baby in a play
pen with a simple phrase of explanation after each attempt at
touching the outlet.  Discipline starts early, and you don't want
to wait until they're 15-years-old to start.  My other concern is
that your baby might be one of the ones who has to learn the hard
way, and that, unfortunately is to get bit by a socket.  My point
is a parent imposed consequence, as apposed to the inevitable
socket consequence.

month daughter from unpluging things from the electrical outlets.
She first was taking her night light out of the socket, so we are
replacing that with one of the touch lights that we can hang up
out of her reach.  We figured out how to handle that problem, but
today she has started unpluging the TV.  I know we could put
furniture in front of the outlets, but that is not an option for
every oulet we have things plugged into.  Any help would be
apreciated.