[blparent] Audio materials

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Mon Aug 17 14:37:54 UTC 2009

the more research that is being done regarding exposure to television for
kids, the more it is being determined that it just isn't good for them,
unless it's controlled and moderated strictly. I've heard from several
sources, including the American Pediatric Association (can't remember if
that's it's correct name) that children under 2 years of age, just shouldn't
watch television. my pediatrician says it's because kids don't learn by
watching images on screens, they learn by doing. in fact, we are trying to
dramatically reduce our television input as a family for this reason.

I've actually seen television become a real problem for some kids; they
become addicted to it, learn bad behaviors from it, act out when they can't
watch it, refuse to engage in other activities in favor of watching it, etc.
I know some of this is also how closely monitored the child is by his
parents. issues like that just don't arise over night.

having said all that, I agree with you that there are "good" and "bad" kids
programs. I'm a fan of PBS Kids shows that actually teach something, and are
not violent or age-inappropriate. it is really amazing how many cartoons are
violent, or how many teach messages that we simply wouldn't otherwise expose
our kids to. e.g., the whole princess waits (depressed and lonely) for
prince charming to ride in and rescue her.

I read a really good article a few weeks ago that suggested you could
maximize the experience of watching television by engaging the child as you
watch the program. the article suggested that you pre-record programs (like
sesame street), and get the child to actively participate as you watch.
e.g., if the number of the day on sesame street is "3," you could pause the
show and ask your child to go find you three of something (crayons, blocks,
etc.). similarly, if the letter is "r," you could ask your child to go find
you something in the house that starts with "r."

Dena