[blparent] A thought about audio books and child locators

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Tue Aug 18 22:02:42 UTC 2009

Hi Group,

I am a little confused about audio books for kids unless your child is
reading along with a print book.  I would think you would want them to have
as much contact with printed books as possible.  The only time I have audio
books for my kids is when the book comes with a CD that allows the child to
read with the print book and turn pages with the beep tone.  I do not want
to impose on my children all the audio that has been forced on me.  Of
course, I understand that audio can result in some great comprehension.
However, I believe my kids benefit more from my reading a print/Braille book
to them rather than listening to a text without any materials to view.

As far as child locators.  Well, we bought one and never used the device.  I
have always found bells to be more useful on the shoes.  My son is four and
still wears his bells as he is a quiet kid.  My daughter had her bells
removed at 3 as she talks all the time.

Another technique I used at the playground is my whistle.  I have one on my
keys and use it to let the kids know they need to come to me.  If I have to
blow it more than three times and nobody responds we go home.

Just a few thoughts.  The bells seem to be a better solution because even
when my children are sitting in a group activity I could often just hear
their bell tinkle a bit when they moved just a little.  This gave me the
ability to locate them easily.

Karla